Thursday, March 27, 2008

Big Ben tower clock

Anyone who has ever seen the Big Ben tower clock and has not been impressed is probably blind or severely jaded. The Big Ben clock is one of the most impressive architectural marvels in the entire world. You can hear the Big Ben clocks chime from almost all over London, and the elaborate mechanism keeps almost perfect time. I have never been a big fan of souvenirs, but when I saw the clock Big Ben, I knew I had to have a replica of it myself. I wanted to get a Big Ben alarm clock that preserved the majesty of the original. Unfortunately, that was harder to find than I had hoped.

Big Ben souvenir clocks, like Statue of Liberty souvenirs, are generally mass manufactured and cheaply made. If you want to get a big Ben clock that looks good, you will have to search for it far and wide. When I was looking to buy a Big Ben clock, I went to practically every souvenir store in London before I found the one that I liked. A long time ago, every region offered its own unique products, but nowadays, souvenirs are more or less the same the world over. Realism in the Big Ben clock was not stressed any more than in any of the other models of famous places that I had seen. Almost every Big Ben clock that I found was in the wrong color, and most of them were not well proportioned either. Either the Big Ben clocks were too tall or too squat and fat. Either they were made of cheaply molded plastic with a seam where they were cast, or else they were made of gold-plated steel, and looked nothing like the original.

I actually finally found my Big Ben clock at a little curio store in the middle of nowhere. It was not one of those souvenir shops that look the same everywhere, but instead was an outfit that specialized in handmade crafts and antiques. I had actually given up my search for a Big Ben clock when I found their model in the back. It was ceramic and, as far as I could tell, perfectly proportioned. It was an analog alarm clock, controlled by dials on the bottom, but it was good enough to actually be a display piece. I thought that it looked quite sharp, and they gave me a good price on it.

No comments: